By Shiraz Khan and Giridhur S
This article is part of the T5E Vacation Guide, which can be found here.
If you have been living under a rock and haven’t already seen the Justin Bieber roast, or you were too busy during the semester to hop onto the Game of Thrones bandwagon, you might have your hands full this summer. But since you’re here reading this vacation guide, odds are you didn’t plan ahead and download your favourite TV shows off DC++ before leaving. And hey, I still know what you did last summer, and you did nothing but while your time away on the internet. We’re only here to optimise that.
If you haven’t already clicked your way through all of the Nyan Cat videos, (here‘s one that sums them all up) and all the Let It Go covers (click here to refresh – your memory), that’s probably because the YouTube landing page doesn’t do a very good job of showing you videos you haven’t seen yet.
Here’s the list, and if you don’t find the names familiar, don’t be let down — it’s probably because you did something productive with your time after all.
- Hello Denizen: While your friends are away tripping in exotic destinations, take your very own trip down to Hamsterdam.
Recommended use: Go outside and thank the stars for the wonderful place that is the internet.
- Covers: Ever wanted to relive your favourite songs? Listen to them, re-imagined solely through instruments by The Piano Guys, or through vocals, by Pentatonix. If you’re listening to covers on YouTube, might as well listen to the professionals.
Recommended use: Sing along, what else!
- Cyanide & Happiness: You just might be able to relate to this delightful comic on a metaphoric level.
Recommended use: Watch with a friend; play that game where you both try very hard not to smile or laugh (and then proceed to giggle uncontrollably).
- Pewdiepie: Whether you’re a gamer or not, this happy-go-lucky Swedish internet sensation will intimidate boys and girls alike.
Recommended use: Make sure you refer to him as ‘Pewds’, and ship Pewds and his adorable girlfriend to everybody you meet.
- How to Basic: You know what? You’ve probably seen enough for a day. Go get some sleep and come back tomorrow for the rest of the list.
Recommended use: Carefully unplug your internet connection and cry.
- Nigahiga : Did somebody say Pewdiepie meets Superwoman?
Recommended use: Try to get all of the puns, without hitting replay.
- TED : This is the treasure trove of the most brilliant ideas across the world, laid out on a silver platter for you to explore. If there’s anything in the realm of Internet that deserves your time, this is it.
Recommended use: The next time the title of your assignment coincides with that of a TED talk, try very hard not to plagiarise.
- Vsauce : For those of you who didn’t open the TED link, here’s something you’ll hopefully find a little less TEDious.
Recommended use: Take a mental note of all the things you could say in a conversation to sound smart.