“Earlier today (around 9 pm), a major fire broke out at the IC&SR (Industrial Consultancies and Sponsored Research) building. The fire was soon located to the NPTEL office in the third floor and did not spread beyond the third floor. There is speculation that the source of the fire was a short circuit but this is unconfirmed. The Director was at the scene shortly and confirmed that there were no casualties. Nobody was in the building at the time the fire broke out. It has been reported that people left the NPTEL offices 15 minutes before the fire began. Water tanks and fire engines promptly reached the scene, continued arriving even around midnight and the fire was soon brought under control.”
The Internet, a global system of interconnected computer networks that has transformed the lives of billions of people across the world, turned 30 this month. On this occasion ACM India, IEEE Computer Society, Computer Society of India and IITM Alumni Association had jointly organised a talk by the co-creator of the TCP/IP protocol, Vint Cerf.